What is required to obtain a building permit for a one or two family residential structure?
For one or two family residential structures a building permit application must be completed.  This application must include all licensed contractors performing the work and signed by the applicant.  A engineer stamped site plan may be required with the permit, depending on the work performed.  Most permits will need to be approved by Planning and Zoning and Code Enforcement.  This process may take a couple of days.
Public Works