The use of candles for many reasons including aroma therapy and or atmosphere is becoming increasingly more and more popular. You can limit the risk to yourself, your family, your neighbors and to firefighters by following a few simple safety procedures.
The Fire Department recommends the following safety tips to help ensure safe candle usage:
- Never leave a lit candle unattended
- Never leave candles burning when you go to bed.
- Never leave a child or pet alone with a lit candle or any open flame- Children and unattended pets can knock over a candle causing a fire and possible burns.
- Never use candles near combustible materials such as curtains, drapes, bedding and or cabinets.
- Never spray an aerosol can near an open flame.
- If you are going to use candles, make sure they sit properly in holders on a flat stable non-flammable surface.